You make my heart skip a beet…root!

Anticancer - Fighting cancer with food

I’m convinced that fighting cancer is not just about going for conventional treatments. From what I’ve read and researched, I think a more holistic approach can make a more effective “fighting pack”. This means looking at all areas of your life – your lifestyle, stress levels, exercise and diet.

A friend recommended an excellent easy to read book to me called “Anticancer” by a doctor named David Servan-Schreiber. The main topic of this book talks about the food you eat and the ability to fight cancer with your diet. Many studies have been completed to support the books findings. There are many foods and spices that have been identified as anticancer foods due to their high levels of antioxidants and cancer fighting properties. I won’t go into the details of these amazing properties as I recommend reading the book for more information.

I have listed most of these foods below:

• Tomatoes – cooked
  • Mushrooms
  • Olives and olive oil
  • Green tea
  • Turmeric
  • Herbs – chives, rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, mint
  • Berries – strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, blackberries
  • Peaches, plums, nectarines, citrus fruit
  • Dark chocolate
  • Omega 3 rich foods such as fatty fish

If it’s available and affordable, organic foods are the first choice. Eliminate processed foods and reduce your dairy, sugar and meat intake. Even if you don’t have cancer you can reduce the possibility by changing your diet and eating more of these anticancer foods that can build up your immune system.

I told my Mom, imagine all these anticancer foods as little army men going into her body and fighting against the cancer cells. What better way to think of it to motivate one to eat more vegetables 😉

Check out this post on what to cook with anticancer foods:
whatudidntknow.co.uk/2016/01/21/cooking-anticancer-foods/

1. 21st May 2016 / 9:50 PM

Interesting that the tomatoes need to be cooked. I’ll skip the olive and beetroot though…

• 21st May 2016 / 10:41 PM

Hi Shelley, yes cooking releases more of the anticancer properties (lycopene) in tomatoes 🙂 Lol, I wasn’t a great fan of beetroot too but it’s really delicious cooked in the oven with herbs, black pepper and some olive oil 😉

2. 22nd May 2016 / 4:57 AM

Pulling at my heart Strings here. Cancer is a big big part of who i am and what I write about.
    Mad respect for your journey & everything that you are.
    This is a brilliant post!

3. 22nd May 2016 / 4:59 PM

Great list ! Cancer treatment is not just meds but eating the correct foods. As I am of Indian heritage a lot of spices and veg from your list feature in my diet.

• 22nd May 2016 / 5:01 PM

Hi Verushka, yes it does make it a lot easier if you already eat most of these foods as it’s less of an “adjustment”. Thanks for reading!

4. 22nd May 2016 / 8:05 PM

I love this list of anti cancer foods.I do eat alot of the veggies on here. It’s great to be aware of what goes into your body.Excellent post 🙂

• 22nd May 2016 / 8:20 PM

Thank you! Yes, what we eat either gives your body good fuel or bad fuel 😉

5. 23rd May 2016 / 1:03 PM

I have a friend on her cancer journey at the moment, sharing this blog entry with here. Thank you for sharing.

6. 24th May 2016 / 9:37 AM

Nowadays more and more this ugly disease is rearing its head. These are great eating tips for the younger generations to live by…lol and the older ones like me. I do struggle getting my 5veg 2 fruit intake!

• 24th May 2016 / 10:16 AM

I know! It’s such a terrible disease that really makes me angry as no one should have to suffer with it. I also struggle with fruit. I find that juicing definitely helps with increasing my vegetable intake 😉