Choosing a wedding photographer from abroad can be tough when you might not be able to meet them and have interviews with lots of different photographers. Besides for taking the points below into consideration, I based my decision on the photographers style, her experience and what people had to say about their photos on her blog or Facebook page. Read on for more tips on what to think about and questions to ask when looking for a photographer.
What to consider when choosing a Wedding Photographer
- Photographers have different styles of photography. Work out what style you like and make your choice based on this. Find out more about wedding photography styles. You’re less likely to be disappointed with your wedding photos if you understand what the photographer will deliver. If you’d like a photographer that has an eye for detail or captures natural and creative photos then you should notice this in their previous work.
- Find out if the photographer uses an assistant photographer and if there’s a difference in price. An assistant photographer means you’ll get photos from a different point of view.
- If you can’t meet your photographer then find out if your photographer is willing to have a Skype chat or talk over the phone. This way you can try to gauge the photographers personality. This person will be following you all day so you will want to feel comfortable with him or her around.
- Find out if the photographer will take the time to “scope out” the landscape/venue beforehand to get an idea of where to take ideal shots. A good photographer will also consider the best time of day to take the couple/bridal party shots regarding the amount of light and sunset times.
- Find out and make sure you understand what the photographer will and won’t take photos of on the day. This decreases the possibility of disappointment.
- Find out how many pictures you’re expected to get and what the packages include. If you’re keen to save money on a photo album you could also design your own album with one of the many great online photo book companies.
- Save any pictures or photo ideas that you like so that you can share them with your photographer.
- Consider having an engagement photo shoot if you have the budget. This is a great opportunity to get some nice photos as a couple and it will also give you an idea of what to expect on the day. For some people being in front of the camera comes naturally whereas others may feel a little less relaxed. This trial run prepares you mentally for the big day. If your photographer is willing, this could be done a week or so before the wedding or you could use a photographer locally to do a couple shoot.
Remember that your wedding photos will be the biggest reminder of your special day for years to come. Depending on how important this is to you, it may be worth spending some time researching this to make sure that you’re happy with your choice of wedding photographer so that the essence of your big day is captured in the photos 🙂
PS. UK and South African readers only – I have designed and created a few photo albums including wedding albums using an online photo book company. If this is a service that may be of interest to you then please feel free to contact me.