My meaningful food experience (Travel Link Up)

Meaningful food experience - Ocean Basket Platter

What does a “meaningful food experience” mean? When I think of meaningful foods, I think of foods that evoke feelings. It could be feelings experienced from wonderful taste sensations or feelings of comfort, satisfaction or fulfilment… So where does this talk of meaningful food experiences come from?

I’ve been following Tanja on The Red Phone Box Travels for a while now. She recently mentioned the monthly travel linkup that she is now co-hosting along with Emma from Adventures of a London Kiwi and Angie from Silverspoon London. The topic for this month is about your most meaningful or interesting food experience. This seemed like a good opportunity for me to participate.

I love food! Whether it’s cooking food, trying new recipes, tasting and exploring new foods or eating out at restaurants. As I’ve only been blogging since the beginning of the year I never really took photos of the food I ate before. So I started thinking about my favourite foods and my “must-have” foods on my travels back to South Africa. And believe it or not, I do have one photo!

As a South African living in the UK for almost 9 years now I still miss certain foods from South Africa. For a lot of South Africans, red meat might be their first staple that they miss most about South Africa. But for me it’s seafood and I have yet to find a restaurant in London that truly satisfies my prawns and calamari craving.

There is a seafood restaurant chain in South Africa called the Ocean Basket. They have a mouthwateringly large menu offering lots of seafood options in different portions and combinations. My favourite dishes to order are either the calamari half grilled/half fried option or the seafood platter for one. This platter contains the fish of the day, calamari, squid heads, mussels and a side choice of salad, fries or rice. Mmm nom nom 😉

Meaningful Food Experience - Ocean Basket

A sample of the menu – just looking at it makes me hungry!

As this is a chain restaurant, your experience of Ocean Basket may differ from one chain to another. 9 times out of 10 I have not been disappointed. Over the years I have tried many of the Ocean Basket restaurants in Johannesburg – namely Melrose Arch, Fourways Mall, Clearwater Shopping Centre, Cresta, Rosebank, Sandton, Bryanston, OR Tambo International airport and in Port Elizabeth – Summerstrand and Walmer. Can you tell? I love Ocean Basket food! 🙂

Meaningful food experience - Ocean Basket

You can tell this is not exactly your “blog posed” foodie pic 😉

I’m sure I’ve annoyed my family and friends slightly with my extreme need and desire for prawns and calamari from the Ocean Basket every time I go back to South Africa! I know there are so many other restaurants to try but in my opinion, why not go for the good old trusted meaningful food experience that I can usually count on not to disappoint me 😉

Do you like seafood? Can you recommend any good seafood restaurants in London that I might not have tried? Do you have any meaningful foods? I’d love to hear in the comments below.

Feature image – an Ocean Basket seafood platter photo courtesy of Alex LP

• whatudidntknowblog
      6th September 2016 / 8:47 AM

Hahahaha yes it is so you need to go there on an empty stomach 😉

1. Davrin
    6th September 2016 / 8:59 AM

Roco Mamas in Johannesburg, they make the most insane burgers (which they refer to as “smashburgers”). Your choice of toppings or pre-made combinations. I have yet to taste a better hamburger! I can only speak of the Fourways and Randburg branches, but they’re both incredibly consistent.

• whatudidntknowblog
      6th September 2016 / 9:06 AM

Hello! Thanks for commenting 😉 Great to hear about your favourite meal and that does sound yummy! What is your favourite toppings to have on a burger?

• Davrin
        6th September 2016 / 9:08 AM

Jalapeños, caramelised onions and Italian relish. By default the burger comes with lettuce, onion and tomato anyway. Ok, I’m hungry now 😊

• whatudidntknowblog
          6th September 2016 / 9:17 AM

Hahahaha that sounds gooood! 😃

2. 6th September 2016 / 7:55 PM

I absolutely love Ocean Basket, I have been craving seafood this whole week🙈 lolz!! Their prawns are absolutely DELICIOUS!!! 😊😜 awesome post! :):)

• whatudidntknowblog
      6th September 2016 / 7:59 PM

I love their prawns too! But at least you’re able to visit an Ocean Basket near you! 😜Thanks for reading 😃

3. 8th September 2016 / 12:15 AM

Chains get a bad rep sometimes I think and I myself often avoid them but the truth is when you get a chain that serves great food time and again, then why on earth would you not want to return?! For years, I never ate calamari as I always thought it was chewy then I finally got persuaded into trying it somewhere and absolutely loved it! Think I’d just been trying it at places that just didn’t prepare it well and had been put off but really like it now 🙂

• whatudidntknowblog
      8th September 2016 / 5:29 AM

Hi Shikha, in my opinion squid seems to be the more popular option here in the UK or at least at the restaurants I’ve been to… And yes most of the time the calamari was chewy or not that tasty at the places I have had it here. So I definitely need my fill whenever I go back to SA! You should try The Ocean Basket if you ever go to SA or find an international branch if you like seafood 😉