Roald Dahl Afternoon Tea at Aqua Shard

Roald Dahl Afternon Tea Aqua Shard

2016 marks the 100th anniversary since the birth of the world’s number one storyteller, Roald Dahl. Throughout this year celebrations were held around the UK to honour Roald Dahl who gave us unforgettable stories such as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Twits and Fantastic Mr. Fox.

As I’m a big fan of afternoon tea I was looking forward to visiting Aqua Shard for their Roald Dahl themed afternoon tea. Aqua shard, is a contemporary British restaurant and bar, with breath-taking views from the 31st floor of The Shard. An afternoon tea menu was created to capture the storyteller’s imagination and his fascination with food.

Roald Dahl Afternon Tea Aqua Shard

Upon arrival at the Aqua Shard, we were greeted with the high reaching Roald Dahl window graphics. It contributed to setting the playful scene for our afternoon ahead on this very grey day in London.

Once we were shown to our table we were given a tea menu presented in a book. The pages in the book were made from edible icing that you could nibble on and eat. This seemed to bring out an almost child-like excitement in my hubby 😉

Roald Dahl Afternon Tea Aqua Shard

The bespoke crockery was hand painted with Quentin Blake’s illustrations and Roald Dahl’s famous quotes. I was impressed with the effort and thought that went into the Roald Dahl themed décor.

While we waited for our tea to arrive, I took the opportunity to take a few photos of the splendid views. Just a pity the weather was so dull.

The view from the Aqua Shard

Enjoying the cityscape from Aqua Shard

Roald Dahl Afternoon tea at Aqua Shard

Photographing Tower Bridge, the lighting and the mirror reflection

The array of sandwiches, cakes and sweet treats soon arrived on a grand tiered glass cake stand or otherwise known as “Charlie’s Great Glass Elevator”.

Roald Dahl Afternon Tea Aqua Shard

Unfortunately as impressive as it looked, some items were lacking a little in flavour. However, each element of the tea was definitely creative in an attempt to bring Roald Dahl’s stories to life. There was the BFG’s breakfast sandwich with fried eggs and bacon served on sundried tomato bread; Pelly’s favourite smoked salmon sandwich based on The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me; and chicken and mushroom golden puff pastries with feet sticking out to create Mr. Twit’s famous bird pie.

Roald Dahl Afternon Tea Aqua Shard

The sweet bites included a meringue filled with peaches and cream inspired by James and the Giant Peach; the extravagant Roly-Poly bird choux bun had delicate coloured sugarwork for wings; chocolate mice filled with strawberry and pistachio sponge sitting in a tiny mouse trap; and a white chocolate crocodile egg containing a bright green jelly crocodile. And of course, there were also golden raisin scones, alongside Jersey clotted cream and sweet strawberry jam. As usual, I enjoyed the savoury eats and could definitely have had more. I found the sweet eats a bit too rich for more liking.

Roald Dahl Afternon Tea Aqua Shard
Overall the afternoon tea was enjoyable even though it was more for sweet tooths. If anything, the experience was a great way to spend an afternoon reminiscing and revelling in childhood nostalgia while overlooking the city I love! 🙂

(Unfortunately this themed tea ended at the end of September 2016. But if you’d like ideas on other London afternoon tea venues then check out this post: Afternoon Tea – A Great British Tradition)

One Messy Mama
Wander Mum

Never miss a post

For the latest travel, health and lifestyle posts sign up to the newsletter

18th October 2016 / 1:20 PM

🙂 Did you have a favourite story? Or which one was most memorable for you?

1. 18th October 2016 / 9:34 PM

Wot?! I have to try that! I think my mum would love it and I definitely would! It’s interesting what you say about some items being less tasty – I often find that with afternoon tea but somehow still go along for the experience.

18th October 2016 / 9:46 PM

Hi Mandy, lol I know what you mean! 🙂 Unfortunately the Roald Dahl tea experience ended at the end of September so the restaurant has gone back to their normal afternoon tea menu.

2. 18th October 2016 / 9:56 PM

Wow – what an amazing experience! I’m a real Roald Dahl fan so I’d love this. The views are impressive – even on a dull day! #CityTripping

18th October 2016 / 10:00 PM

Hi Jo, it was a fun experience 🙂

3. 19th October 2016 / 8:04 AM

Omg… Just for this, I wanna book at air ticket to UK NOW! I grew up reading Roald Dahl and I love themed meals like this. Why am I not in UK??? #CityTripping

19th October 2016 / 9:14 AM

Lol I do also enjoy the variety and the many themed events that you can get. The issue is finding the time to do all these things! 🙂

4. 19th October 2016 / 10:49 AM

It does look like a fabulous setting for having an afternoon tea.

19th October 2016 / 10:51 AM

yes it was Cathy! 🙂

5. 19th October 2016 / 12:11 PM

Oh wow this sounds lovely! I am definitely going to check this out. First of all I’ve been wanting to go to the Shard and second of all I would love a menu that is actually a book made with icing inside, YUM. Wonderful review and amazing photos! Thanks for sharing with #GlobalBlogging!

19th October 2016 / 12:25 PM

Ah thank you! I’m sorry to disappoint you but unfortunately this themed afternoon tea ended at the end of September 🙁

6. 19th October 2016 / 1:47 PM

What a great take on afternoon tea. I loved Roald Dahl’s stories and thus is a novel idea – especially with that view to look at! Thanks for linking #citytripping

19th October 2016 / 2:07 PM

Thank you! I look forward to linking again 🙂

7. 19th October 2016 / 2:02 PM

This looks so very fun! I love afternoon tea. I just need to hop the train to London more often with so much fun to be had!

19th October 2016 / 2:06 PM

There are so many wonderful places you can visit for tea! 🙂

8. 19th October 2016 / 3:27 PM

Bummer, I wished I had known about this. My daughter is called Matilda after his character.Looked like a wonderful day out #GlobalBlogging

19th October 2016 / 4:22 PM

Ah wow, what a lovely name for your daughter 🙂 I actually stumbled across the tea when I was looking for ideas on places to go. There’s always so many things happening that it’s so easy to miss it!

9. 19th October 2016 / 10:52 PM

What an amazing experience- I love how might effort they’ve gone to to fit the theme. Looking forward to introducing my daughter to Dahl. #citytripping

20th October 2016 / 8:39 AM

I was amazed at the effort too! 🙂

10. 20th October 2016 / 1:44 AM

Oh my, who doesn’t like an afternoon tea (those treats look delicious), combined with a little Roald Dahl = a match made in heaven. My personal favorite is The Twits.. I’ve read that book so many times. Thanks for linking up, hope to see you next week! #Globalblogging

20th October 2016 / 8:38 AM

I will definitely be joining again next week. Thanks for starting the #Globalblogging linky! 🙂

11. 20th October 2016 / 11:28 AM

Oh Wow! Looks like you are in heaven. I love Roald Dahl and what a magical place to experience this in! I love that tea set too! Gorgeous! #GlobalBlogging

20th October 2016 / 11:30 AM

I know! How cool is that tea set?!? 🙂

12. 20th October 2016 / 11:08 PM

Oh what a shame this has ended as this tea sounds absolutely wonderful for anyone (like myself) who grew up loving the Roald Dahl books. I’m always amazed at just how creative the themes and concepts are that come up in various London afternoon teas!

22nd October 2016 / 2:17 PM