A while ago I shared my first experience of growing my own tomatoes this year. As we are now in Autumn and the temperatures have dropped, I had to pick my tomatoes from the plants before they all died. The tomatoes have been sitting in a container on top of our fridge as the temperature there is constant. Over the last few weeks some of them have started ripening while others have remained green.
I’ve been looking for recipes online on what to cook with my green tomatoes. In the end I decided to use my tomatoes to make a Tomato and Courgette Gratin.
- Tomatoes – Use enough to fill an oven dish as it’s up to you as to how big a dish you’d like to make. The nice thing about using green tomatoes is that they don’t get as mushy as red tomatoes when baking them in the oven. I’ve used both green and red tomatoes in this recipe.
- 1 Courgette
- Mixed herbs
- Grated cheddar
- Wash the tomatoes and courgette
- Lightly butter an oven dish
- Slice the courgette thinly
- Slice the tomatoes
- Layer the bottom of the oven dish with courgette and then tomatoes. Sprinkle mixed herbs over the vegetables. Continue to alternate the layers of courgette, tomatoes and mixed herbs until the dish is full.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over the top. Other recipes also suggest using breadcrumbs as a topping but I didn’t have any bread in the house.
- Pop the dish into the oven for 30 minutes at 180 degrees celsius
Voilá! And there you have it – Tomato and Courgette gratin. The dish turned out better than it looked and it tasted a bit like a pizza to us. It’s a simple, quick and easy recipe and now I have less tomatoes in the house 😉
Have you ever cooked with green tomatoes? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below.