Early last year I felt like I needed a fitness boost as I was feeling rather bored and unmotivated with exercise. Besides for the 2016 10km monthly running challenge I was doing, I was keen to try something new. As I’ve always enjoyed Fitboxing type classes at gym I thought a one on one boxing course might be worth trying…
I discovered that my local area has a boxing gym and this suited me perfectly as it was conveniently located. After enquiring about costs I decided to do a 10-week boxing course with boxing trainer Darren.
The boxing gym was definitely male dominated but I tried not to let this put me off. The sessions were about an hour long consisting of a 10-minute warm up, a 20-30 minutes boxing session, some HIIT/cardio exercises and strength exercises and lastly a cool down. After my first session, I was hooked! I also realized that I had learnt a few things from boxing.
5 Things I Learnt From Boxing
- It made me feel empowered and more confident. As silly as this may sound, it made me feel less scared of the possibility of someone coming towards me with a strike. I felt as if I wouldn’t be afraid to punch back! (Don’t mess with Natalie 😉 )
- It felt like my lung capacity had increased. As I was doing a monthly 10km race challenge it felt like my boxing was helping with my running.
- It is stress releasing. The endorphin rush and sense of achievement after a session makes you feel great and releases all the stresses of the day.
- It’s both a physical and mental challenge. Maintaining the energy levels to continue going even though you feel out of breath and watching for the trainers next move on to how to punch back provides stimulation both mentally and physically.
- And lastly it gave me the fitness boost I was looking for.
I was sad to see the end of my boxing course but decided not to continue with it due to costs. I was pleased that I achieved my goal as well as learnt something new.
After my Mom passed away earlier this year, I felt like a lot of frustration and tension was building up within me. I decided to attend some boxing sessions again to help with the stress relief. It was absolutely amazing to feel the difference in me after a session in comparison to before a session.
So if you’re looking for a kick in the fitness butt or a great stress relieving exercise, I can definitely recommend giving boxing a try!
Have you tried boxing before? How do you feel about contact sports? I’d love to hear in the comments below.